Dallas, TX

We did some urban hiking in downtown Dallas. The architecture is amazing and so is the history. Dallas doesn't have any free parking, so we parked in the $5 lot next to Union Station and started walking.

Quote on the front of The Dallas Morning News headquarters, the newspaper that Dealey published.

Circular fountain in the center of Ferris Park.

Sculpture called "Harrow" was placed in Lubben Plaza in 1986. It is supposed to turn, but found no marks in the ground to indicate it is working.

Next to the Harrow are two abstract, geometric, straight-edged sculptures face each other across a bed of gravel. Named "Journey to Sirius" they were placed in the plaza in 1992.

The third piece of art in the plaza is named “Gateway Stele”.

This is the original Pegasus that was created in 1934 as the symbol for Magnolia Oil Company. It was removed from the Magnolia Building in 1999 and put into storage. It was refurbished and installed here in front of the Omni Hotel in 2015.

Ed posed with the bronze cattle drive made up of Longhorn Steers and three mounted cowboys.

A waterfall in Pioneer Park

Confederate War Memorial is covered awaiting its removal. It was created in 1896. It was donated to the city of Dallas by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. This statue is listed on Smithsonian Art Inventory. It was created by Frank Teich who built the State Capitol building in Austin, and the Fort Worth Courthouse.

Dallas Police Memorial located in triangular park near Dallas City Hall.

1978 Dallas City Hall is odd shaped to say the least.

Two red spheres, one 84" the other 42" float in a pond in front of City Hall. They are aptly named "Floating Sculpture".

1982 J. Erik Jonsson Central Library was one of the first libraries in the country to have an on-line catalog system and state-of-the-art audiovisual capabilities.

Three piece vertebrae sculpture in front of Dallas City Hall.

Pegasus atop the Magnolia Building. In 1999 the original sign was taken down and this new sign was installed. At midnight on 1 January 2000, the new Pegasus, complete with rotation, was lit for the first time.

1929 Art Deco Warner Brothers Building was a distribution center for their films.

Colorful mural is a sign pointing the way to the Farmer's Market.

The Desco Tile building was constructed in 1920. A colorful example of Venetian Gothic architecture showcased the workmanship of Mr. Desco and his son.

1913 Beaux Arts Classical style Scottish Rite Temple, still in use today.

This former Masonic Hall was constructed in 1941 to consolidate nine Dallas Masonic organizations. It looks like it will soon be more loft apartments.

Building undergoing renovations, has colorful paint job. Could this be classified as an abstract mural?

Vintage Magnolia Gas Station. This flatiron building was erected in 1920. The building had offices above and sold gas under the canopy.

1943 Mercantile Building with clock tower.

1914 City Hall, designed by C.D. Hill Architects, w/ Mauren, Russell and Crowell of St. Louis was replaced in 1977. It was in the basement of this building that Ruby shot Oswald..

National Register of Historic Places: "Former Hilton Hotel was built in horseshoe plan with two massive towers forming an open court between them. The towers are prominently tied together with an elaborate bridge at the 10th level.

National Register of Historic Places: "The entrance is framed by paired, fluted pilasters resting on stone bases and capped with modified Corinthian capitals. Terminating at horizontal panels ornamented with crests and garlands, the pilasters are accented with spiral colonnettes. The arch contains new glass doors in metal frames below an ornamental frieze and grille of cast iron."

Abstract art named "Astro Flower".

1921 Renaissance Revival style movie theater.

Relief medallion of former US Vice President and diplomat George M. Dallas, whom some claim the city was named after.

1928 Titche-Goettinger Department Store with cut off corner.

Non-denominational chapel in Thanks-Giving Square.

Thanks-Giving Square is a sunken garden area that includes several fountains. This V-shaped fountain falls 15' from a pool at street level over rough rocks to create white noise to drown out the sound of traffic from the street above.

Thanks-Giving Square Bell Tower is 50 feet tall. The three bells ring to mark each hour. (8 a.m. - 7 p.m.)

Thanks-Giving Square mosaic shows people of all faiths, races, ages and gender. Text on the bottom says "DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU".

The 1929 Renaissance Revival (former) Post Office across from Thanks-Giving Square. Now loft apartments.

Wikipedi: "The chapel ceiling contains the stained glass "Glory Window", one of largest horizontally mounted stained-glass pieces in the world. The 73 panels of faceted glass were designed by Gabriel Loire of Chartres, France featuring warmer and brighter colors as the spiral reaches its apex in the center. " The chapel is usually open 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Thanks-Giving Square Dove of Peace

The curved corner of the Wilson Building.

Large Whirl-a-Gig located in the circle drive of the Mirador Restaurant.

Ed posed with this eyeball. It is the artist's 30' sculpture based on his own veiny orb.

Built for the Dallas National Bank in 1927. It is a sixteen-story Gothic Revival building that has been remodeled into a hotel.

Sunburst mosaic over the front entrance to St. Jude Catholic Chapel was designed by Gyorgy Kepes.

Mosaic butterfly in the sidewalk in front of Neiman Marcos at Main and Ervay.

1916 Eight Story Classical Revival Texas Electric Interurban Railroad Depot. It too has been made into loft apartments.

Construction began in 1930 on this Dallas Power & Light Company building. It is Art Deco.

Decorations on front of the Magnolia Building. It was originally the headquarters for the Magnolia Petroleum Company. It is now the Magnolia Hotel.

Elaborate artwork on the Beaux-Arts style Adolphus Hotel built in 1912.

Earle Cabell Federal Courthouse

Built in 1911, the MKT "Katy Railroad" Building is a seven-story brick building with lovely terra cotta detailing. The MKT still maintains offices in this building.

JFK Memorial is a 30-foot-tall empty box, made of concrete slabs surrounds this simple black slab with his name. Not much of a memorial in my opinion. The one we visited last week in Fort Worth was MUCH nicer.

Gargoyle on the top of the Old Red Courthouse next door to JFK Memorial.

1936 Centennial County Marker

John Neely Bryan Cabin on display. Excerpt from historical marker: "In 1839 Tennessee lawyer John Neely Bryan chose this high bluff and shallow ford on the Trinity River as site for a trading post. Finding Indians scarce when he returned in 1841, he platted a town, installed a ferry, and called the place Dallas. In the 1840s, the Republic of Texas opened its Central National Road from here to the U.S. border, and drew settlers to this area with liberal land grants."

This is the former Texas School Book Depository. It is from the 6th Floor Window that Oswald was said to have shot Pres. Kennedy. But we will never know for sure!

One of two identical pools, each approximately 120 long with water jets. These were built by the WPA. The old Red County Courthouse is in the background.

1915 Renaissance Revival Jail designed to look like an office building.

Statue of Dealey was not erected in Dealey Plaza until 1949, three years after he died.

The Terminal Annex building was constructed in 1937 as a New Deal public works project by the well known local firm of Lang &Witchell. It has WPA artwork, but the building is not open to the public.

One of two pergolas built by the WPA when they made the park later named Dealey Plaza.

Debatably the most famous roadway feature in America. Witnesses observed Kennedy's motorcade, and his assassination, from vantage points atop the Triple Underpass. The underpass was built by the WPA in 1936.

Union Station is Beaux-Arts style depot built in 1916. Prior to 1916 there were nine railroads using five separate depots. This consolidation into one depot made for lots of train traffic, thus the need for the Union Station Triple Underpass shown above. Depot is still used by DART light rail, TRE commuter trains, local buses and Amtrak.

Back past The Dallas Morning News to our parked car.